Skip to main content

Sweet And Sour Chicken!


Well I have to say I hope you guys try this as I was so surprised at how relatively easy this dish was to make and honestly you will never want to bother with Panda Express again lol...well maybe if your in a hurry! This really was a fun dish to make and I look forward to making this many, many times.

You will need the following:

1 lb of skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Green Peeper
4 Slices of Pineapple
1 small to medium Onion
1/4 cup of Corn Starch
3 Tbsp of Vinegar
4 Tbsp of Sugar
4 Tbsp of Ketchup
1/2 tsp Sesame Oil



I know...looking at those ingredients who knew right! I will admit though that I did not have any sesame oil and it was just fine. Of course I will keep an eye out when shopping for future reference.

Now cut your chicken up into 1 inch cubes approx, then put into a bowl and mix in 1/2 cup of Corn Starch. Now there is a two step process here for the chicken but not difficult at all. The Cornstarch seals in the moisture for more tender chicken. Once your chicken is coated in the cornstarch, blanch fry them in enough oil to cover them until they are cooked on the outside, about 30 seconds to a minute. Make sure your oil is hot. I use Canola or Peanut oil when frying anything as they can handle the higher temperatures. Once your chicken is blanched; drain and reserve for later.

While your chicken is set to the side, prepare all your other ingredients. Cut them all up into even chunks. Then heat your wok up until it starts to smoke a little and then add 1 Tbsp of oil around the side of the wok. Add your onion and bell pepper, then add your pineapple.


Then your going to add all the sauce ingredients starting with the vinegar, then sugar, ketchup and sesame oil if you have it. Stir for 1 minute and add the chicken and let rest in the wok for a couple of minutes so we know the chicken cooks thoroughly.

Once that is done, you want to add a thickening agent. In a small bowl, mix 5 Tbsp of water with 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and gently mix and then slowly add to the wok, stirring all the time so you don't get clumps. And that's it! Yes that simple! I cooked this with Long Grain rice and this was just delicious, not a morsel was left.

So get too it, you have to try this, it will surely become a favorite.

Now credit where credit is due. I watched this video and as you can see it is so straight forward and makes this such a simple dish to make. Check it out Sweet and Sour Chicken!


"And I know sour, which allows me to appreciate the sweet." ~ Vanilla Sky

Comments

  1. I like the sound of this -
    just what I like quick and easy to cook.
    Will definitely give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, let me know how it turns out for you. I am about to post a quick Chinese curry recipe, so watch this space. Checking out your page now.

      Delete
  2. I just want to add here ...NEVER EVER USE CANOLA OIL! I have used this oil for quiet sometime now thinking it was a great choice, however it is not. More importantly it is very, very dangerous for your health. Great insecticide though! Check out these article

    http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=AEE77E1636E97778AB05E6F31D6B1C27

    http://www.dldewey.com/columns/canola.htm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Iced Boxed Pie - Yummy!

Ok kids, there are many, many recipes out there for this and as you know like most recipes they range from easy to hard. Well that special someone loves Chocolate Ice Box Pie and so it was a must that I not only learn how to make it, but make it really, really yummy, just like Grand Ma made it lol! So I searched and searched and found a recipe that to me sounded too easy, so easy in fact that I just had to try it and see how it would go down! Well I followed this really easy recipe to a T, and whalla, it made the most delicious pie ever, so much so that I even liked it and I don't do chocolate pies/cakes, although I do love chocolate lol! So here you go...give it a whirl and see what you think! You will need the following...such a long list...NOT! This is a stock photo of my baby! 1 Pint of Vanilla Ice Cream. 1 Cup of Milk. 1 Large packet of Chocolate Instant Jello Pudding . 1 9" pie shell, of course if you have time, you can make your own pie crust. Then you p

Search for Inspiration - Moments of Self Doubt!

I have been scouring through blog after blog today, looking for inspiration. What started out as a fun task to get some unique recipes for the week, has turned into an "OMG" what have I let myself in for, moment!  The blogs I have viewed today are so wonderfully put together, the layouts, and of course the recipes. Wonderful people with wonderful ideas and expertise, it is all so incredible. These food blogs are so far beyond anything I am doing at the minute that I have to admit, I am very intimidated and find all of this kinda scary to say the least. Should I even continue, should I even bother? I took a deep breath and a break and did some soul searching, along with a nice cold glass of Baileys on the Rocks! Whew...amazing what a little alcohol and some space can do lol! I decided to stop looking through blogs and look for some inspirational quotes. I don't know if you have noticed, but quotes feature big time on my blogs. So I came across this one and thought, h

Quick & Easy Chicken Tikka Masala – Creamy Chicken Curry Recipe from Food Wishes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshiJSNBWNs I made this a while back and meant to post. So easy and so awesome! There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread. ~ Mahatma Gandhi